Through fundraisers and generous donations, the Alumni Association has, since 1996, awarded more than $90,000 in scholarships and stipends to eligible students. The amount of the scholarships and stipends is dependent upon funds available and the number of eligible applicants.
Please review application for criteria and deadlines.
From the time of its organization, the alumni association has maintained a commitment to continuing education through scholarships and stipends to support our legacies as they pursue post high school education. Fundraisers, donations pledges and a portion of banquet ticket sales support this project.
- Applicant must be an "active member," "financial member" of the John J. Wright Alumni Association, or the offspring of an "active member" of the John J. Wright Alumni Association. (Offspring may be a biological, step, adopted or foster child or a grandchild.) The active member, upon whom the applicant is basing his or her eligibility, must be an active financial and current member of the John J. Wright Alumni Association for at least two consecutive years prior to the year of application (2013, 2014 and 2015).
- High School applicants must be graduating from an accredited secondary educational institution. All other applicants must have graduated from an accredited secondary educational institution. Returning student applicants must be full-time students returning to a technical school, junior college, or four-year college or university.
- High School applicants and first-time applicants must have applied for admission to at least one accredited technical school, junior college, or four-year college or university.
- High School applicants and first-time applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. Returning student applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- All high school and first time applicants must provide two (2) recommendations from an official of one or more of the following: current school, community organization, church, or employer. One (1) of the two recommendations must be from a high school teacher if applicant is in high school.
- A small high school picture and a brief bio for first time applicants are required.
- A personal interview, consisting of an oral presentation of the applicant's essay and a question/response period, may be required.
- Applicant must agree to return any scholarship award if applicant does not attend an educational institution or training school in Fall 2015.
APPLICATIONS HAND DELIVERED OR POSTMARKED AFTER April 15, 2015 WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Report of Scholarship and Stipend Recipients 2014
With help of our dedicated members and pledges, 4 scholarships of $1,400 and 3 stipends of $700 were awarded for the 2013 - 2014 school year. The recipients were:
2014 Scholarship Recipients ($1,400)
- Monica Lewis - Radford University, Radford, VA
- Justin Lucas - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Jade Malone - Ohio University, Athens, OH
- Shalya Paige - Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
2014 Stipend Recipients ($700)
- Imani Fennell - Spelman College, Atlanta, GA
- Brianna Williams - Marymount Manhattan University, New York, NY
- Richard Williams - University of Maryland, Baltimore County, MD
For more information please contact James Dyson, firstname.lastname@example.org.