Through fundraisers and generous donations, the Alumni Association has, since 1996, awarded more than $90,000 in scholarships and stipends to eligible students. The amount of the scholarships and stipends is dependent upon funds available and the number of eligible applicants.
Please review application for criteria and deadlines.
From the time of its organization, the alumni association has maintained a commitment to continuing education through scholarships and stipends to support our legacies as they pursue post high school education. Fundraisers, donations pledges and a portion of banquet ticket sales support this project.
Applicant must be an "active financial member" of the John J. Wright Alumni Association, or the offspring of an "active financial member" of the Alumni Association (offspring may be a biological, step, adopted or foster child or a grandchild). The member, upon whom the applicant is basing his or her eligibility, must be an "active financial" and "current year" member of the Alumni Association for at least two consecutive years prior to the year of application (2014, 2015 and 2016). Membership dues must be paid by April 15 of the current year.
- High School applicants must be graduating from an accredited secondary educational institution. All other applicants must have graduated from an accredited secondary educational institution.
- Returning student applicants must be full-time students returning to a technical school, community college, or four-year college or university.
- High School applicants and first-time applicants must have applied for admission to at least one accredited technical school, community college, or four-year college or university.
- High School applicants and first-time applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. Returning student applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- All high school and first-time applicants must provide two (2) recommendations from an official of one or more of the following: current school, community organization, church, or employer. One (1) of the two recommendations must be from a high school teacher if applicant is in high school.
- A small high school picture and a brief bio for high school and first-time applicants are required. The bio can be included on the application form.
- A personal interview, consisting of an oral presentation of the applicant's essay and a question/response period, may be required.
- Applicant must provide proof they are enrolled in school for the fall semester before receipt of scholarship/stipend.
- Applicant must agree to return any scholarship award if applicant does not attend an educational institution or technical school in fall 2016.
The complete application package must be mailed/postmarked to the scholarship committee no later than April 15, 2016.
JJW Alumni Association, PO Box 1061, Spotsylvania, VA 22553-1061
APPLICATIONS HAND DELIVERED OR POSTMARKED AFTER April 15, 2016 WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Report of Scholarship and Stipend Recipients 2015
With help of our dedicated members and pledges, 2 stipends of $1,500 were awarded for the 2014 - 2015 school year. The recipients were:
2015 Stipend Recipients ($1,500)
- Imani Fennell - Spelman College, Atlanta, GA
- David Michael Woodward - George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
For information contact:
Scholarship Committee Chair
P.O. Box 1061
Spotsylvania VA 22553-1061