The John J. Wright Educational and Cultural Center Museum was formally opened on September 9, 2010. Among the elegant alumni ribbon cutters was our oldest alumni, Mrs. Christine Garnett Chapman, valedictorian of the class of 1935!
[front row: Mrs. Cleo Kay Coleman '49, Mrs. Christine Garnett Chapman '35,
Ms. Courtney Sample '49, Mrs. Julia Pryor Fauntleroy '41,
Mrs. Bertha Pratt Fairchild '45,
Dr. Brenda Seals, Asst Superintendent
back row: Gil Seaux, School Board Chairman; Dr. Jerry Hill, Superintendent; Gary Skinner, Board of Supervisors Chairman; Roger Braxton, Jr. '62, Museum Board of Directors Chairman; State Senator R. Edward Houck]
We are fortunate to have a museum that tells the story of African American education in Spotsylvania County from the 1870's through integration and the school's closing as a middle school in 2006. The museum is by no means complete and will continue to develop. In order to maintain this important gift, we must support it by memberships, donations volunteer time and visits. Artifacts, records and documents pertaining to John J Wright School are welcomed.
Find Out More